‘ALLIANCE REMAINS STRONG’ | US gov’t commits P300-M intel support to PH
5 days ago
FEBRUARY 11, 2019 – Malacañang welcomed on Monday the P300-million intelligence support offered by the United States (US) to enhance the military’s capabilities in fighting terrorism.
In a statement, Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said this commitment only shows that the military alliance between the Philippines and US remains strong.
Panelo underlined the need for greater cooperation among the member-countries of the United Nations in order to combat and crush terrorism.
“Terrorism knows no boundaries, politics, religion, and creed. It is the new evil in the world that strikes at every country and every continent,” Panelo said.
The assistance came following the deadly blasts in Mindanao amid the two-day plebiscite for the new Bangsamoro region.
Earlier this month, the US also released a 2018 assessment report highlighting the “limited ability” of the Armed Forces of the Philippines in gathering and processing intelligence information.
The US has been reportedly helping out the military in improving its Intelligence Surveillance Reconnaissance capabilities, which were limited due to lack of assets and other institutional challenges.
Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana previously confirmed the US assistance prior to the purported suicide bombing in Jolo, Sulu.
“They have been helping us track these terrorists even before bombing,” Lorenzana said on February 4.
RELENTLESS IN PURSUING MURDERERS
Malacañang, meanwhile, stressed that the military is “relentlessly pursuing the mass murders” behind the attacks.
It also assured that the security for the public has been enhanced.
“We call our people to be vigilant and report to the authorities any suspicious act by any person or group of persons in their communities that may tend to endanger their lives, limbs and properties,” Panelo said.