‘WAR PANEL’ | Sison warns vs. Duterte’s military peace panel plan

1 week ago

APRIL 15, 2019 – Communist Party of the Philippines founder Joma Sison warned against President Rodrigo Duterte ‘s plan to form a new peace panel to negotiate with the communist rebels anew.

On Sunday, Duterte said he is mulling to reopen peace talks with panel composed of at last two civilians and three military officials. He floated the idea after permanently terminating the peace negotiations last month.

His proposal, however, did not sit well with Sison. In a statement, the self-exiled leader called out Duterte’s “war panel” and advised the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) to be wary of this suggestion.

“The NDFP does not want to be baited into accepting a war panel of the Duterte regime whose purpose is merely to seek the impossible, such as the surrender of the revolutionary forces, especially the New People’s Army,” Sison said.

He then demanded the president to answer a list of questions, which included a demand for explanation on why he earlier terminated the negotiations.

“By all indications, Duterte is merely play-acting in the name of peace while carrying out an all-out war and scheming to rig the May 2019 elections in order to pave the way for a fascist dictatorship through charter change to a bogus federalism,” Sison wrote.

In response, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said “it does not matter” whether Sison likes the idea or not.

”’Yung mga hindi nakikinig sa kanya [ang kakausapin]. Ang feeling namin, ‘di siya pinapakinggan,” Panelo said.

“From the way ground forces are doing their thing, it appears to me that way,” he added.